CALL US: 720-370-3300


What to Do When Your Partner Does Not Want a Divorce

What to Do When Your Partner Does Not Want a Divorce

By Hampton & Pigott
Posted on 3-21-2022

A marriage is a collaboration. And sometimes that collaboration just does not work as well as you wanted it to. In an ideal world, both partners would feel when things are not working and both mutually agree to go separate ways. But this is not always the case. There are times when one party wants a divorce and the other adamantly does not. This comes up most often in cases of infidelity or abuse. But what can you do if you want to dissolve your marriage and your partner does not? Is it still possible? What are the steps? What should you expect?

The first thing you should do when this situation arises is get in contact with a family law attorney. At Hampton & Pigott, we are experienced with navigating matters like these with our clients. We would be happy to consult with you and give our advice on what legal steps you need to take.

If you consult with a lawyer, hear the potential outcomes, and still want to move forward with ending the marriage, you need to get ready for a long road ahead. Contested divorces can take significantly longer to resolve. The disagreeing partner is likely to fight you and be uncooperative in discussions regarding child custody and property division. This is where having a solid family law attorney on your side will really help.

Especially when dealing with divorces revolving around infidelity or abuse, it is important you have proof. Your attorney will guide you and help you gather all of the information and documents you need to proceed. Abusers and cheaters regularly rely on gaslighting to make you and the people around you question the facts. Throughout the long process, you may even begin to doubt yourself. That is where having an attorney on your side will prove valuable. They can remind you of the facts that have been gathered so far and support you through this difficult process.

At the end of the day, divorce is not an easy thing even when both partners agree to it. This is all the more the case when one party does not want to go through with it. If this is the situation you find yourself in, our attorneys at H & P are willing and able to assist you on your journey to end things. Contact us today for a free consultation.